- ¶ THERE was at that place a man of the Pharisees, named Nicodemus, a leader of the Jews;
- He came at night to Jesus and said to him, Rabbi, we know that you are a teacher sent from God;
for no man can do these miracles that you are doing unless God is with him.
- Jesus answered, saying to him, Truly, truly, I say to you, If a man is not born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.
- Nicodemus said to him, How can an old man be born again?
Can he enter again a second time into his mother’s womb and be born?
- Jesus answered, saying to him, Truly, truly, I say to you, If a man is not born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.
- What is born of flesh is flesh;
and what is born of the Spirit is spirit.
- Do not be surprised because I have told you that you all must be born again.
- The wind blows where it pleases, and you hear its sound;
but you do not know whence it comes and whither it goes;
such is every man who is born of the Spirit.
- Nicodemus answered, saying to him, How can these things be?
- Jesus answered, You are a teacher of Israel, and yet you do not understand these things?
- Truly, truly, I say to you, We speak only what we know, and we testify only to what we have seen;
and yet you do not accept our testimony.
- If I have told you about earthly things and you do not believe, how then will you believe me if I tell you about heavenly things?
- No man has ascended to heaven except him who came down from heaven, even the Son of man who is in heaven.
- Just as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, so the Son of man is ready to be lifted up;
- So that every man who believes in him should not perish, but have eternal life.
- For God so loved the world that he even gave his only begotten Son, so that whoever believes in him should not perish, but have eternal life.
- For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world;
but that the world should be saved by him.
- He who believes in him will not be condemned;
and he who does not believe has already been condemned for not believing in the name of the only begotten Son of God.
- And this is the judgment, that light has come into the world and yet men have loved darkness more than light, because their works were evil.
- For every one who does detestable things hates the light, and he does not come to the light, because his works cannot be covered.
- But he who does truthful things comes to the light, so that his works may be known, that they are done through God.
- ¶ After these things, Jesus and his disciples came to the land of Judea, and he remained there with them and baptized.
- John also was baptizing at the spring of Aenon near to Shalim, because there was much water there;
and they came and were baptized.
- For John was not yet cast into prison.
- Now it happened that a dispute arose between one of John’s disciples and a Jew about the ceremony of purifying.
- So they came to John and told him, Teacher, he who was with you at the Jordan crossing, concerning whom you testified, behold, he also is baptizing and a great many are coming to him.
- John answered, saying to them, No man can receive anything of his own will, except it is given to him from heaven.
- You yourselves bear me witness that I said, I am not the Christ, but only a messenger to go before him.
- He who has a bride is the bridegroom;
and the best man of the bridegroom is he who stands up and listens to him, and rejoices greatly because of the bridegroom’s voice;
this my joy therefore is fulfilled.
- He must become greater and I lesser.
- For he who has come from above is above all;
and he who is of the earth is of the earth, and he speaks of earthly things;
but he who has come from heaven is above all.
- And he testifies of what he has seen and heard, and yet no man accepts his testimony.
- He who accepts his testimony has set his seal that God is true.
- For he whom God has sent speaks the words of God;
for God did not give the Spirit by measure.
- The Father loves the Son, and has placed everything under his hand.
- He who believes in the Son has eternal life;
and he who does not obey the Son shall not see life, but the wrath of God shall remain on him.